July 7, 2018

45 RPMs 23: The Platters ~ My Prayer


~  

Just before my 16th birthday, right after finishing my Sophomore year in high school, The Platters released the single, My Prayer. The date was July 7, 1956,   

I loved that song then and I still do, sixty two years later. 




The Platters ~ My Prayer
45 RPM single
photo by Styrous®  


My Prayer was written in 1939 with music by salon violinist Georges Boulanger and lyrics by Carlos Gomez Barrera and Jimmy Kennedy. It was originally written by Boulanger with the title Avant de Mourir (Before Dying) in 1926. The lyrics for this version were added by Kennedy in 1939. Glenn Miller recorded the song that year and it became a number two hit. The Ink Spots also did a version that same year and it reached number three on the charts.    

The list of performers who have covers of My Prayer is marvelous: Vera Lynn, Patti Page, Brenda Lee, Pat Boone, Bing Crosby, Vikki Carr, Tom Jones, Jerry Vale, Jay and the Americans, Solomon Burke, Harry Connick Jr., Chet Atkins, Glen Campbell, Jimmy Dorsey, Ella Fitzgerald, and the list goes on and on. It has also been used in various films as well.        

The flip side of the single is the song, Heaven on Earth, which is a slightly faster song with a mellow guitar intro and a decidedly less dramatic feeling.   

     The Platters ~ Heaven on Earth    
45 RPM single  
photo by Styrous®  



My Prayer sheet music



"My Prayer"


When the twilight is gone and no songbirds are singing
When the twilight is gone you come into my heart
And here in my heart you will stay while I pray

My prayer is to linger with you
At the end of the day in a dream that's divine
My prayer is a rapture in blue
With the world far away and your lips close to mine

Tonight while our hearts are aglow
Oh tell me the words that I'm longing to know

My prayer and the answer you give
May they still be the same for as long as we live
That you'll always be there at the end of my prayer



Tracklist:    

    

A My Prayer
Featuring – Tony Wilson (9)Written-By – Boulanger*, Kennedy*
2:45
B Heaven On Earth
Written-By – Buck Ram
2:33

Companies, etc.

Credits:

Notes:

Mercury Record Corporation, Made in U.S.A.

Side A originally performed by Ambrose & His Orchestra

Side A, publishers; Skidmore Music Co. Inc. / Peter Maurice (ASCAP)
Side B, publisher; Panther Music (ASCAP)

Barcode and Other Identifiers

  • Matrix / Runout (Side A): 45-YWM-12624-4
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B): 45-YWM-12628-1
  • Matrix / Runout (Side A, variant, Stamped, Etched): 45-YWM-12624-2 NISII
  • Matrix / Runout (Side B, variant, Stamped, Etched): 45-YWM-12628-1 #2 NISI
  • Rights Society: ASCAP
     
        
       
       
Viewfinder link:       
         
The Platters                
       
YouTube links:       
       
The Platters ~ My Prayer        
                    ~ My Prayer (live video)      
                    ~ Heaven on Earth    
            
     
      

Styrous® ~ Saturday, July 7, 2018           
          


~ 
~











No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.