July 10, 2018

20,000 Vinyl LPs 140: The Beatles ~ A Hard Day's Night

~









The Beatles ~ A Hard Day's Night        
vinyl LP front cover
album cover photos by Robert Freeman
photo of album cover by Styrous®




And I Love Her!

I don't think there has ever been a more beautiful love song ever written. Well, maybe that's not true but it comes pretty close to my feeling for this song.   

It was released on July 20th or 26th (I found date differences in my research) of 1964. I was in the middle of an affair one only dreams of ever having (by those day's standards) and the song said everything I was feeling at that time of my life.  
      
vinyl LP back cover 
album cover photos by Robert Freeman
photo of album cover by Styrous®


And I Love Her, written primarily by Paul McCartney (credited to Lennon–McCartney), was recorded by the Beatles as the fifth track of their third album, A Hard Day's Night, and was released, mas o menos, mid July 1964. If I Fell was released at the same time by Capitol Records in the United States, reaching No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100.        

The Beatles performed And I Love Her only once outside Abbey Road Studios; on July 14, 1964 they played it for an edition of the BBC Top Gear radio show, which was broadcast two days later.    
    

vinyl LP back cover  detail
album cover photos by Robert Freeman
detail photo of album cover by Styrous®


"And I Love Her"


I give her all my love
That's all I do
And if you saw my love
You'd love her too
I love her

She gives me everything
And tenderly
The kiss my lover brings
She brings to me
And I love her

A love like ours
Could never die
As long as I
Have you near me

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her

Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her



vinyl LP back cover  detail
album cover photos by Robert Freeman
detail photo of album cover by Styrous®

If I Fell holds a place in my heart as well as it reminded me that what the song was hoping, had come true for me at that time.   

The Ringo's Theme instrumental was a beautiful sonic break that blends the "Dwayne Eddy" guitar work, crescendo of the staccto strings and the brass gently and makes you feel just GOOD! Sure it is sappy now but back then it was heaven.        

It's fun to watch the video (link below) of Can't Buy Me Love that was made during work on the Rediffusion Television special in the UK, Around The Beatles. It took place while The Beatles were also filming A Hard Day’s Night, which summed up the band’s lifestyle at this point. The show’s title dictated the creative angle for the programme in that The Beatles were filmed ‘in the round’. The producer was 32-year–old Jack Good, an innovator of TV pop shows for teenagers. Not only was Around The Beatles to be filmed in front of a live audience, but the shoot would also be fairly complex, so it was decided that the band would mime to tracks that had been pre-recorded at IBC Studios in London.       

The interesting part of the video is that not only were the Beatles wearing suits and ties but the young guys in the audience were as well.

Fans at the Beatles concert, 
photographer unknown



My, how times change!




vinyl LP back cover  detail
album cover photos by Robert Freeman
detail photo of album cover by Styrous®

Associated-Rediffusion was the British ITV contractor for London and parts of the surrounding counties, on weekdays between 1954 and 29 July 1968. Transmissions started on 22 September 1955 and the company is credited with being the first Independent Television company to be launched. The company arose from Rediffusion.         


vinyl LP record sleeve
photo by Styrous®

Ringo Starr is credited for the title of the album because of a malapropism. According to Pitchfork's Tom Ewing,
"The lack of rock and roll covers allows listeners to "take the group's new sound purely on its own modernist terms", with audacious "chord choices", powerful harmonies, "gleaming" guitar, and "Northern" harmonica."        



vinyl LP record sleeve
photo by Styrous®

A Hard Day's Night is the first Beatles album to feature entirely original compositions, and the only one where all the songs were written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.         


vinyl LP record, side 1
photo by Styrous®


vinyl LP record label, side 1
photo by Styrous®




vinyl LP record, side 2
photo by Styrous®


vinyl LP record label, side 2
photo by Styrous®


       
Tracklist:

Side 1:

A1 - A Hard Day's Night - 2:28
A2 - Tell Me Why - 2:04
A3 - I’ll Cry Instead - 2:06
A4 - I Should Have Known Better (Instrumental), Performer [Uncredited] – George Martin And His Orchestra - 2:16
A5 - I'm Happy Just To Dance With You - 1:59
A6 - And I Love Her (Instrumental), Performer [Uncredited] – George Martin And His Orchestra - 3:42

Side 2:

B1 - I Should Have Known Better - 2:42
B2 - If I Fell    - 2:16
B3 - And I Love Her - 2:27
B4 - Ringo's Theme (This Boy) (Instrumental), Performer [Uncredited] – George Martin And His Orchestra - 3:06
B5 - Can't Buy Me Love - 2:15
B6 - A Hard Day's Night (Instrumental), Performer [Uncredited] – George Martin And His Orchestra - 2:00
Companies, etc.

    Published By – Maclen Music, Inc.
    Published By – Unart Music Corp.

Credits:

    Producer – George Martin
    Written-By – Lennon And McCartney*

Notes:

STEREO
Black label with circles at top.
First issue. This, the more common release lists "I Cry Instead" (incorrect title) on the label of the record. Less common copies have the title correct ("I'll Cry Instead") on the label. All copies have the title incorrect on the cover.
Later cover, credits "This Boy" and "I Cry Instead" to Maclen Music.
Some copies have "Ringo's Theme" hype sticker.

NOTE-The Beatles tracks are not in true stereo on ALL UA stereo pressings, only the instrumentals are.
Barcode and Other Identifiers

    Rights Society: BMI
    Matrix / Runout (Label A): UAS 6366 A
    Matrix / Runout (Label B): UAS 6366 A
    Matrix / Runout (Side 1 etching): UAS 6366A-1D
    Matrix / Runout (Side 2 etching): UAS 6366B-1D
    Matrix / Runout (Side 1 etching Variant 1): UAS 6366A-1B
    Matrix / Runout (Side 2 etching Variant 1): UAS 6366B-1D
    Matrix / Runout (Side 1 etching Variant 2): UAS 6366A-1K
    Matrix / Runout (Side 2 etching Variant 2): UAS 6366B-CLB-1
    Matrix / Runout (Side 1 etching Variant 3): UAS 6366A-CLB-1
    Matrix / Runout (Side 2 etching Variant 3): UAS 6366B-1F

The Beatles ‎– A Hard Day's Night
Label: United Artists Records ‎– UAS 6366
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
Country: US
Released: 26 Jun 1964
Genre: Rock, Stage & Screen
Style: Soundtrack, Rock & Roll, Pop Rock

         
Viewfinder links:       
           
all things Beatles           
        
Net links:       
           
BBC review       
LA Times review         
New Yorker review               
NPR review      
NY Times review        
Pitchfork review           
Roger Ebert review          
RollingStone review       
Slant Magazine review
The Atlantic review      
       
YouTube links:       
           
A Hard Day's Night           
If I Fell           
And I Love Her (video)
Ringo's Theme instrumental       
Ringo's Theme instrumental (video)               
Can't Buy Me Love  (video)               
       
      
       
What a wonderful time it was!

            
Styrous® ~ Tuesday, July 10, 2018    
       






No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.