June 23, 2018

GroWiser @ the Farmer's Market in Old Oakland

~










GroWiser ~ Ball & Chain
CD pamphlet back
photo by Styrous®  



   
One of the perks of living in a major metropoitan area is the chance operation that puts one in touch with amazing things, events, people, art and, of course, music.      
       
I experienced one of those perks yesterday at the Old Oakland Farmer's Market where I met three members of the group GroWiser performing. 


GroWiser - Old Oakland - 2018 
photo by Styrous®


I had a fantastic time listening to their music and talking to the keybordist and leader, Hubert Emerson, saxophonist, Sahar Imani Miller and Ralph Eutsey on congas.



GroWiser - Old Oakland - 2018 
photo byStyrous®

Man! Can Miller wail out a tune on that sax! They also did some mellow tunes in which she "crooned" her way into my heart. Like Sugar, I've always been a sucker for the saxophone; Woody Herman in the forties, Earl Bostic, Charlie Parker & Sonny Rollins in the fifties, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane & Dexter Gordon in the sixties, Stan Getz, Grover Washington, Jr. in the seventies and of course, in the eighties, John Zorn.         
        
Emerson told me his group had been performing at the market for decades but for some reason I had missed him and this was my first encounter with them.


Ralph Eutsey, Hubert Emerson & Sahar Imani Miller
GroWiser - Old Oakland - 2018 
photo by Styrous®


I bought several of their CDs, a couple of which they autographed for me. I'll write about the albums as I listen to them.


GroWiser ~ Ball & Chain
CD pamphlet cover
photographers unknown
photo of cover by Styrous®


The group's music is a fusion of jazz, blues, funk and maybe a hint of soul. They played a beautiful song, Hungry Eyes, (not to be confused with the song of the same name by Eric Carmen) that is a knockout (link below)! I could easily imagine moving in ecstacy to it when I was younger and in a dance club. The song is on the Tears of God album, which I bought and will write about at a later date after I've listened to it.     



GroWiser ~ Ball & Chain
CD case
photo by Styrous®


There is a video of them during a recording session of Middle of the Night, from the Don't Look Back album, and Out On the Town from  at the Jingletown Studios in Oakland on YouTube (link below). Miller totally wails out on sax as well as sings in it.   

The Jingletown Studios was the next block down from my studio. It was founded by the members of Green Day. There were many rock groups who recorded there, the heavy metal band from Oakland, Machine Head, the rock band from San Jose, Smash Mouth, Iggy Pop, as well as Green Day. There are a couple of videos by audio engineer, videographer, and musician Chris Dugan about the studios (link below).

photo by Niall David


The last I heard, the studios were up for sale. Before it was turned into a recording studio, the building had been gutted in a massive fire in 2006.    


Jingletown Studios fire - 2006 
photo by Styrous®


I haven't had time to listen to the GroWiser albums I bought yesterday but judging from the fantastic time I had listening to them perform, I look forward to many hours of blissful listening.   


GroWiser ~ Ball & Chain
CD
photo by Styrous®
     
       
        
      
       
Viewfinder link:      
       
Music & Mayhem      
       
Net links:      
       
Project: Albatross ~ The GroWiser Band   
Huffpost ~ Chris Dugan at JingleTown Recording Studio    
       
YouTube links:      
       
Hungry Eyes (live)        
Hungry Eyes @ the at Jingletown Studios        
Middle of the Night      
Out on the Town      

       
     
            
Styrous® ~ Saturday, June 23, 2018      
        


~
~















No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.