September 22, 2020

45 RPMs 49: The Supremes ~ I Hear a Symphony

~      
45 RPM record label


It does not seem that it's been 55 years since I first heard the song I Hear a Symphony by The Supremes! Is that possible? I guess so! Where did the time go?           

I remember being totally enchanted with it; it was the complete opposite of their earlier song, Stop! In the Name of Love! (link below). Although, I will always love Stop!, Symphony will be my all-time favorite tune by them. Stop! has a very hard driving, aggressive, assertive, almost threatening feeling to it which indicates love but perhaps impending disaster as well. Symphony is ultimate love expressed (link below) to the MAX!      
 
The song was recorded on this day, September 22, in 1965 for the Motown label. It was written and produced by the Motown main production team, Holland–Dozier–Holland, it became their sixth number-one pop hit on Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart in the United States for two weeks from November 14, 1965 through November 27, 1965.       

The background strings were arranged by American composer, pianist, arranger, conductor and record producer, Belford Hendricks. He is primarily remembered as the co-composer of numerous soft-R&B songs of the 1950s, many in collaboration with Clyde Otis and Brook Benton, and as an accomplished arranger. His versatility allowed him to write in various styles, from big band swing for Count Basie, through blues ballads for Dinah Washington and Sarah Vaughan, R&B-influenced pop for Benton and country and western numbers for Nat King Cole and Al Martino, to early soul for Aretha Franklin.
      
It's amazing how many artists have covered it (links below)! The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson 5, The Isley Brothers (bouncey but beautiful), Leslie Uggams, Wayne Newton, and Quincy Jones have taken turns at trying it on for size. The song was covered by Hank Crawford on his album by the same title in 1975, however, it is a disco-ized version and I wasn't so keen on it. Amazingly, KC and The Sunshine Band did a version that was super! It has a great piano/trumpet then vocal 1½ minute intro then goes into a slow easy rock ballad with terrific sax work by Harry W. Casey!        
 
 
I Hear a Symphony lyrics 

You've given me a true love
And every day I thank you, love
For a feeling that's so new
So inviting, so exciting

Whenever you're near, I hear a symphony
A tender melody
Pulling me closer, closer to your arms
Then suddenly (I hear a symphony)
Ooh, your lips are touching mine
A feeling so divine
Till I leave the past behind
I'm lost in a world
Made for you and me

Whenever you're near, I hear a symphony
Play sweet and tenderly
Every time your lips meet mine, now, baby, baby, baby
You bring much joy within
Don't let this feeling end
Let it go on and on and on, now, baby, baby, baby
Those tears that fill my eyes
I cry not for myself
But for those who've never felt the joy we felt (baby)

Whenever you're near, I hear a symphony
Each time you speak to me
I hear a tender rhapsody of love now, baby, baby
As you stand holding me
Whispering how much you care
A thousand violins fill the air, now, baby, baby
Don't let this moment end
Keep standing close to me
Ooh, so close to me, baby, baby, baby, baby
I hear a symphony
A tender melody
        
           
Viewfinder links:      

Count Basie             
Nat "King" Cole      
Hank Crawford        
Aretha Franklin          
The Supremes      
Sarah Vaughan         
Dinah Washington                  
    
Net Links:      
      
Dianna Ross Project ~ I Hear A Symphony          
Fandom ~ I Hear A Symphony        
Motown Junkies ~ I Hear A Symphony         
Mountain Valley Independant ~ I Hear A Symphony      
Secondhand Songs ~ I Hear a Symphony covers             
Songfacts ~ I Hear a Symphony         
The Guardian ~ Diana Ross & the Supremes: 10 of the best         
       
YouTube links:      
     
Hank Crawford ~ I Hear a Symphony              
The Isley Brothers ~ I Hear a Symphony       
The Jackson 5 ~ I Hear a Symphony       
KC and The Sunshine Band ~ I Hear a Symphony        
The Supremes ~        
     I Hear a Symphony     
     I Hear a Symphony (live) (1965)   
     Stop! In The Name Of Love      
     Stop! In The Name Of Love (Live)    
        
         
 
Photograph: Michael Ochs Archives/Library 

 
         
To Tom 
         
        
        
Styrous® ~ Tuesday, September 22, 2020












 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.