June 26, 2015

20,000 Vinyl LPs 46: Zebedy Colt ~ Zebedy Sings for You & The Man I Love

Zebedy Colt ~ Zebedy Sings for You 
vinyl LP album cover
cover design: Richard Frey 
photo of cover by Styrous® 


Today, June 26, 2015, will be one of the landmark dates in the history of the United States. The Supreme Court ruled that no state can ban same sex marriages. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote, "No longer may this liberty be denied.” This is now the law of the land. I won't equate it to the many other important dates in our history; I don't need to.  

What a mind blower!

Ok, so now what do I do? Well, as I usually do, I had to commemorate this day with one of the albums from my vinyl record collection. But I have so many albums dealing with gay comedy, protest, etc., to choose from. What and which one should I use? I finally decided this was not a day for comedy or protest but for exaltation of joy and love. So, I chose Love. And what could be a better gay anthem than, The Man I Love? And no man ever sang it better than, Zebedy Colt, aka, Zebedy. There is a link to the song on YouTube below or you can hear it while you read the rest of this if you click HERE.  

Zebedy Colt ~ Zebedy Sings for You 
vinyl LP album cover back
cover design: Richard Frey 
photo of cover back by Styrous®



Zebedy was born Edward Earle Marsh on December 20, 1929. He was an American actor, musician, adult film director and star. He is principally known by his stage name Zebedy Colt.    


Zebedy
photographer unknown



Zebedy began his wild and fascinating showbiz career in childhood, acting occasionally for projects in Hollywood. His slant toward a less mainstream brand of performing began to manifest during the 1960s when he was involved in a number of outrageous, high-camp stage projects at supper clubs, bars and cafés catering to a primarily gay audience.

Gay Power - February, 1970



Subsequently, he sang on an LP with the London Philharmonic Orchestra entitled "I'll Sing For You" and used the name Zebedy Colt. This pioneer album (now a rare collector's item) is historically significant to the gay community, as the songs were torchy standards about men, intended to be sung by women. Now established as "Zebedy Colt", Marsh found entrance into the burgeoning world of hard-X cinema. The years that followed saw him as a performer and director, credited with many titles now both notorious and revered by the cult cinema fringe for their edgy and extreme subject matter. During these years he also managed to find the time to perform on the stage in several on- and off-Broadway productions, and eventually retired to Las Vegas, Nevada, where he died in 2004, a little over eleven years before the realization of his dream came true; to be able to proudly proclaim to the world about, The Man I Love.     


Someday he'll come along, The man I love
And he'll be big and strong, The man I love
And when he comes my way
I'll do my best to make him stay

He'll look at me and smile, I'll understand
Then in a little while, He'll take my hand
And though it seems absurd
I know we both won't say a word

Maybe I shall meet him Sunday,
Maybe Monday, maybe not
Still I'm sure to meet him one day
Maybe Tuesday will be my good news day

He'll build a little home, That's meant for two
From which I'll never roam, Who would, would you
And so all else above
I'm dreaming of the man I love

Maybe I shall meet him Sunday,
Maybe Monday, maybe not
Still I'm sure to meet him one day
Maybe Tuesday will be my good news day

He'll build a little home, That's meant for two
From which I'll never roam, Who would, would you
And so all else above
I'm waiting for the man I love




Zebedy Colt ~ Zebedy Sings for You 
vinyl LP label, side 1
photo by Styrous®


Zebedy Colt ~ Zebedy Sings for You 
vinyl LP label, side 2
photo by Styrous®

Tracklist:

Side 1:

1 - The Man I Love - written by George & Ira Gershwin
2 - I’m In Love With A Wonderful Guy - lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, music by Richard Rodgers
3 - Bill - lyrics by P.G. Wodehouse, music by Jerome Kern
4 - A Sleepin' Bee - lyrics by Truman Capote, music by Harold Arlen
5 - Michael - written by  Edward Earle*
6 - Love For Sale - written by  Cole Porter

Side 2:

1 - Bewitched - lyrics by Lorenz HartMusic By – Richard Rodgers
2 - A New Year, A New Love - written by Edward Earle*
3 - Lush Life - written by Billy Strayhorn
4 - The Day To Say Goodbye - written by Edward Earle*
5 - Somewhere - written by Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim

Companies etc.

    Manufactured By – Cory Sound Company – VC-3938

Barcode and Other Identifiers:

    Matrix / Runout (Side A, Handwritten & Stamped Runouts): TVC ̶E̶C̶-̶1̶0̶1̶ ̶A̶¹̶ ̶ VC-3838-A Bell Sound 5ƒ
    Matrix / Runout (Side B, Handwritten & Stamped Runouts): TVC VC-3838-B ̶E̶C̶-̶1̶0̶1̶-̶B̶¹̶ ̶ Bell Sound 5ƒ

Label: Tram Records ‎– T-5001
Format:  Vinyl, LP, Album
Country: US
Released: 1960's
Genre: Blues, Pop
Style: Vocal, Music Hall





Net links: 

The Man I Love on YouTube    
Queer Music Heritage: The Many Sides of Zebedy Colt     
New York Times - Same-Sex Marriage a Right Nationwide       
Washington Post - What’s in the same-sex marriage ruling      
Variety - Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Same-Sex Marriage             

 



I never dreamed I would see this day in my lifetime!



Styrous® ~ Friday, June 26, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.