September 11, 2023

20,000 vinyl LPs 334: The Byrds ~ Turn! Turn! Turn, Oh, Susana

 ~  
vinyl LP front cover 
cover photo by Guy Webster 
cover design by Bob Cato 
photo of album cover by Styrous®


September 11 is a day with many historical references, the most infamous being the disastrous incident in New York City, in 2001. But another event happened over a hundred and fifty years earlier in 1847. The  Stephen Foster song, Oh! Susannah, was performed in public for the first time by a local quintet in PittsburghPennsylvania.          

I have always been intrigued by this song as a lot of the lyrics make no sense whatsoever! Samples: "It rain'd all night the day I left, The weather it was dry, The sun so hot I froze to death..." and so on. I remember as a kid thinking this was, "The cat's pajamas!" a phrase still in use at the time.   
 
And the name, Susana, has always been a fascination for me. The rhythmic syllables, the bouncy feeling of the consonants and vowels dancing around each other and, of course, when pronouncing it in the Castilian/Catalan tounge, the sensuous pursing of the lips to produce the sound "Su" (link below). VERY erotic! From my childhood, the name has always had a middle-eastern sound to my ears; then in 2000 when I was on Cyprus, the distant call of the Iman electrified me to the core when I heard it clearly ringing out above the raucous cacophony of the busy city streets. This totally cemented it in my mind as a mysterious, sensual, powerful and wonderful name!     

Anyway, I digress, back to the song itself! Foster was only 21 years old when he composed it in 1848. He later wrote, “the two fifty-dollar bills I received (for "Oh! Susanna") had the effect of starting me on my present vocation as a songwriter.” He wrote over two hundred songs, a lot of them dealing with the South although he only visited it once (link below). Oh! Susannah was a favorite of the ‘49ers during the California Gold Rush and others heading west during the mid-nineteenth century.    
 
The first version of it I knew was featured in the film, The Jazz Singer, with Al Jolson singing in black face. In 1942, Looney Tunes had Elmer Fudd singing a totally wacked-out version of it for the war effortConnie Francis covered it in 1961 on her Connie Sings Folksong Favorites album. The version The Byrds did in 1965 on their album, Turn! Turn! Turn!, is one of my all-time favorites. James Taylor did a really wonderful duet for guitar & vocal on his Sweet Baby James 1970 album (links below).           
 
The cover design was by Bob Cato who also did a cover for Blood, Sweat & Tears, Simon & Garfunkel and the graphics for the sound track recording of the 1933 film, King Kong which starred Fay Wray.          
 
 
vinyl LP back cover 
photo of album cover by Styrous® 
 
 
In 1940 the United States Postal Service issued a 1¢ commemorative stamp in Foster's honor for the Famous American Composers series.   
 
 
Stephen Foster 1¢ stamp - 1940
photo: Gwillhickers
 
 
There has been opposition to honors for him because of the racist aspect of the lyrics of his songs; but it was another era with different values.

 
Lyrics
 
 I came from Alabama,
⁠ Wid my banjo on my knee,
 
I'm gwyne to Louisiana, 
⁠My true love for to see; 

It rain'd all night the day I left, 
⁠The weather it was dry, 

The sun so hot I froze to death, 
⁠Susanna, don't you cry.

CHORUS.
⁠Oh! Susanna, 
⁠Oh don't you cry for me,
⁠ 
I've come from Alabama
⁠ Wid my banjo on my knee.

2
I jumped aboard de telegraph, 
⁠And trabbled down de riber, 

De lectric fluid magnified, 
⁠And killed five hundred nigger. 

De bullgine bust, de horse run off,
⁠ I realy thought I'd die;
 
I shut my eyes to hold my breath, 
⁠Susanna, don't you cry.
⁠ 
 
Cho: Oh! Susanna &c.

3
I had a dream de odder night
⁠ When ebery ting was still,
 
I thought I saw Susanna 
⁠A coming down de hill; 

The buck-wheat cake was in her mouth, 
⁠The tear was in her eye; 

Says I, "I'm coming from de south, 
⁠Susanna, don't you cry.
 
"
⁠Cho: Oh! Susanna &c.

4
I soon will be in New Orleans, 
⁠And den I'll look all round, 

And when I find Susanna,
⁠ I will fall upon de ground.

And if I do not find her, 
⁠Dis darkie'l surely die, 

And when I'm dead and buried, 
⁠Susanna, don't you cry.
⁠
 
Cho: Oh! Susanna &c.


 
 
 
 
 
         
   
Tracklist:
       
Side 1:
        
A1 - Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season),Adapted By, Music By – Pete Seeger - 3:34
A2 - It Won't Be Wrong, written by Gerst* - 1:58
A3 - Set You Free This Time - 2:49
A4 - Lay Down Your Weary Tune - 3:30
A5 - He Was A Friend Of Mine - 2:30
       
Side 2:
       
B1 - The World Turns All Around Her - 2:12
B2 - Satisfied Mind, written by J. Rhodes*, R. Hayes* - 2:21
B3 - If You're Gone - 2:45
B4 - The Times They Are A-Changin' - 2:17
B5 - Wait And See, written by D. Crosby* - 2:19
B6 - Oh! Susannah, arranged by J. McGuinn* - 3:00
       
Companies, etc.
       
    Printed By – Modern Album, Terre Haute, Indiana
    Published By – Melody Trails, Inc.
    Published By – Tickson Music Co.
    Published By – M. Witmark & Sons
    Published By – Peer International Corp.
       
Credits:
       
    Art Direction [Uncredited] – Bob Cato, John Berg
    Bass – Chris Hillman
    Drums – Mike Clark*
    Guitar, Leader – Jim McGuinn
    Liner Notes – Derek Taylor (2)
    Photography By [Cover Photo] – Guy Webster
    Producer – Terry Melcher
    Rhythm Guitar – Dave Crosby*
    Tambourine – Gene Clark
    Written-By – B. Dylan* (tracks: A4, B4), G. Clark* (tracks: A3, B1, B3), J. McGuinn* (tracks: A2, B5)
       
Notes:
       
Columbia Two-Eye Red label, "360 Sound Stereo" in white text.
NONBREAKABLE printed on labels.
Columbia Masterworks on label rim.
       
Barcode and Other Identifiers
        
    Matrix / Runout (Label matrix, side A): XSM 112091
    Matrix / Runout (Label matrix, side B): XSM 112092
    Matrix / Runout (Runout, side A, etched): XSM 112091 1D
    Matrix / Runout (Runout, side B, etched): XSM 112092 1C
    Matrix / Runout (Runout var 1, side A, etched): XSM 112091 1A O C
    Matrix / Runout (Runout var 1, side B, etched): XSM 112091 1B D O
    Rights Society (Tracks A1 to A3, A5 to B3, B5 and B6): BMI
    Rights Society (Tracks A4 and B4): ASCAP
    Other (Rear jacket fabricator identification): 3
 
The Byrds – Turn! Turn! Turn!
Label: Columbia – CS 9254
Format:    Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
Country: US
Released: Dec 6, 1965
Genre: Rock
Style: Folk Rock, Psychedelic Rock

         
Viewfinder links:        
         
Blood, Sweat & Tears               
The Byrds         
Bob Cato          
King Kong & Fay Wray           
Postal stamps        
Simon & Garfunkel          
        
Net links:        
Digital Music News ~ 
     The Original Lyrics to ‘Oh Susanna’ Are Brutally Racist       
        
        
YouTube links:        
         
2nd South Carolina String Band ~ Oh! Susanna                   
The Byrds ~ Oh, Susana         
Connie Francis ~ Oh, Susana        
Elmer Fudd - Oh, Susana               
Al Jolson ~ Oh, Susana         
PronounceNames.com ~ Susana        
Stephen Foster ~ OH! SUSANNA - Original 1848 Lyrics         
James Taylor ~ Oh, Susana          
         
        
        
        
Styrous® ~ September, 11, 2023       
       
 
 


























No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.