July 5, 2020

The Beauty of Ophthalmology ~ The OCULUS Pentacam

~


I recently went to my ophthalmologist for my annual eye check-up. One of the tests I had was with a slit lamp, an instrument consisting of a high-intensity light source that can be focused to shine a thin sheet of light into the eye. It is used in conjunction with a biomicroscope. The lamp facilitates an examination of the anterior segment and posterior segment of the human eye.  




photo of scan by Styrous®


Also used was an OCULUS Pentacam to check my corneal topography; it is a non-invasive medical imaging technique for mapping the surface curvature of the cornea, the outer structure of the eye. Since the cornea is normally responsible for some 70% of the eye's refractive power, its topography is of critical importance in determining the quality of vision and corneal health.           
      
The three-dimensional map it produces is a valuable aid to the ophthalmologist and can assist in the diagnosis and treatment of a number of conditions; in planning cataract surgery and intraocular lens (IOL) implantation (plano or toric IOLs); in planning refractive surgery such as LASIK, and evaluating its results; or in assessing the fit of contact lenses.       


OCULUS 4 Maps 
photo by Styrous®


I got copies of my OCULUS Maps, which are more than just medical or scientific value, but works of art in themselves.      









       
    
“Everything has beauty, 
but not everyone sees it.”
                ~ Confucious
      
          
Styrous® ~ Thursday, July 2, 2020         
   




~
~

















2 comments:

  1. I am deeply impressed by your work and therefore adding you in my favorite list so that next time I could read you again.
    slit lamp

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.