February 1, 2018

Obiko ~ Craft of the Costume art-to-wear fashion show

~

This is the second part of an entry I wrote about a vinyl LP, the soundtrack to the film, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, with a score by Philip Glass (link to part one below). I used the intro to the film for this fashion show I produced for Sandra Sakata (link below) of the San Francisco art-to-wear boutique, Obiko.     







Craft of the Costume - 1992     
program cover
artwork by Jean Cacicedo   
photo by Styrous®      



The event was held on August 5, 1992, as a benefit for The San Francisco Craft & Folk Art Museum at Fort Mason also in San Francisco. It featured Obiko designers and was held in the Cowell Theater also at Fort Mason.           

The show had been in production for several months. Usually I was only in charge of the production, choreogrphy, music, lighting and coordination of it all for the show but this time I was chosen to design the set for the production as well. My design was simple; sparse, etherial and airy with only spots of white fabric stratigically placed on the stage to be lit with various colors at various times during the show.        

A week before the show, we were told a play was to be staged the day AFTER our show, however, the set was in the process of being built as it was a large set that would take time to construct. I figured, OK, I can work with whatever they had; so, I went to see the construction only to discover the play was set in the Midwest and took place in a farmhouse. Totally, unetherial, unsparse and unairy. I thought to myself, "𝕱µ©∑!"     

But I solved the problem by having Obiko designer, Arial Bloom, open the show as a mid-west housewife sweeping her porch, falling asleep then dancer, Agusta Moore, visiting her in a dream. The costume Moore is wearing was designed by Kayla Kennington.   


photo by Geoffrey Moore 


The video below is the opening of the fashion show. The complete video of the show is in the archives of the Textile Arts Council of the M. H. de Young Museum located in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.   


Craft of the Costume opening video
music by Philip Glass
costume by Kayla Kennington



The lighting was designed by Phillip Hofstetter (link below) and the video was shot by Don Bright.
     
   
   
Viewfinder links:           
         
Part One: Philip Glass ~ Mishima    
Obiko       
Yukio Mishima        
Philip Glass          
Phillip Hofstetter       
Styrous® & Fashion       
      
YouTube links:            
         
Mishima/Opening   
       
     
       
         
         
Styrous® ~ Thursday, February 1, 2018           












2 comments:

  1. Hello, I am wondering is there a link for the craft of costume video? I would love to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Celia, the complete video is not online. I want to publish all the Obiko shows I have produced but they are all on video tape & need to be digitized.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.