February 27, 2015

20,000 Vinyl LPs 34: Leonard Nimoy ~ The Way I Feel (goodbye Mr. Spock)











photo by Styrous®




Mr. Spock died today. Actually, Mr. Spock will never die; Spock will go on forever. It's the man who portrayed him on the ground breaking TV series, Star Trek, who died. Of course, he did many other fine performances in various productions but it will be his "Spock" that will live in my memory of him.

Of the many wonderful characters on the Star Trek series, and there were many, Spock was my favorite. Being a closet nerd all my life I could relate to him. Thinking about this as I write, I suddenly realize the origins of my current fascination with The Big Bang Theory. I seem to attract/am attracted to nerds.

The Way I Feel is the third studio album by Leonard Nimoy. It was released in late 1968 by Dot Records, the same year Two Sides was released.  

Unlike the first two albums, Nimoy stepped away from his Mr. Spock persona on this album. There are no science fiction, Spock themed songs, or outer space sound effects featured on the album. The album consists of folk songs. However, it is believed that the spoken word tracks, Consilium and Where It's At loosely tie into the Spock persona.

The songs

My favorite music cut from this album was actually written by Nimoy and Don Christopher. Please Don't Try to Change My Mind is a fun, bouncy, country-western feeling tune in which he sounds amazingly like Johnny Cash.

In Where It's At, features Nimoy speaking rather than singing the words, ergo, it's one of the best songs on the album. It is a lovely, gentle kind of beat that wanders around, through and over the words of Nimoy. Very nicely done.

Consilium is also a spoken rather than sung piece. It was written by Nimoy but this  time with Charles R. Grean. The words are beautifully relevant to the reality of everyday survival that holds true today evan as it did then.   

Nimoy's voice is not the greatest you've ever heard nor is it the greatest album ever recorded but it is fun to listen to it in reference to the career of Nimoy.

ø ø ø

Leonard Nimoy died this morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Westside Los Angeles, California. His obit says he was 83, but, no . . .

. . . he was Timeless!

Live long and prosper!


Track listing: 

Side one:

  1. "I'd Love Making Love to You" (David Schudson)
  2. "Please Don't Try to Change My Mind" (Don Christopher, Leonard Nimoy)
  3. "Sunny" (Bobby Hebb)
  4. "Where It's At" (Cy Coben)
  5. "Both Sides Now" (Joni Mitchell)
  6. "If I Had a Hammer" (Pete Seeger, Lee Hays)

Side two:

  1. "Here We Go 'Round Again" (Paul Evans, Paul Parnes)
  2. "Billy Don't Play the Banjo Anymore" (Randy Sparks)
  3. "It's Getting Better" (Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil)
  4. "Consilium" (Leonard Nimoy, Charles R. Grean)
  5. "Love Is Sweeter" (John Hartford)
  6. "The Hitch-Hiker" (David Somerville, Bruce Belland)

Production:

  • Produced by Charles R. Grean and Tom Mack
  • Arranged by George Tipton ("Both Sides Now", "If I Had A Hammer", "Here We Go 'Round Again" and "It's Getting Better"),
  • Arranged by Charles R. Grean ("Where It's At", "Billy Don't Play The Banjo Anymore", "Consilium" and "The Hitch-Hiker"), Ray Pohlman ("I'd Love Making Love To You" and "Please Don't Try To Change My Mind"), and Bill Stafford ("Sunny").
  • Engineered by Thorne Nogar.
Released: 1968
Label: Dot Records
Producers: Charles R. Grean and George Aliceson Tipton    



Leonard Nimoy complete bio on Wikipedia
  
New York Times obituary with video 
  
Star Trek Homepage  

     

Leonard Nimoy songs on YouTube:  

 Please Don't Try to Change My Mind 
Sunny   
Where It's At  
If I Had a Hammer 
Consilium  

~ ~ ~

I started the Vinyl LP series because I have a collection of over 20,000 vinyl record albums I am selling; each blog entry is about an album from my collection. Inquire for information here.   

~ ~ ~


Styrous® ~ Friday, February 27, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.