June 4, 2014

The Styrous Viewfinder at 5





Today is the fifth anniversary of the Viewfinder. When I started this blog I never dreamed I'd be at it all these many years.

I used to write a monthly newsletter for the San Francisco Fashion Forum in the '90's called the Fashion Forum News which covered things fashion and art related; so, this blog is, I suppose, an online extension of it separated by twenty years or so. 

It's been a long journey since my first entry in The Viewfinder, Robert Frank at SFMOMA, on June 4th, 2009, exactly five years ago today. I had no intention of going to many of the places I have in the blog;  they just seemed appropriate at the moment. And that's been my modus operandi; writing about what interests me at the moment. However, none of the blog entries have been written 'spur of the moment'. Each and every one has been carefully thought out and researched; each has links to more info if one is interested in knowing more. I've throughly enjoyed the researching as I have learned an enormous amount of 'stuff' in the process; some of it useful, some of it not, all of it interesting.

When I started the Viewfinder, its focus was to be about photography with some art thrown in. Then music and fashion entered; things Ive been involved with professionally. It has kind of branched out from there and one might even say it's gotten out of hand. Well, that's the way it's developed and there's nothing to do about it now except enjoy it for what it's worth. 

The Viewfinder has also turned out to be tiny glimpses of my life. I didn't intend that either, it just kind of happened; my life was a part of the subject written about. These glimpses are sporadic, not in any kind of order and definitely NOT chronological. It reminds me of the journeys/adventures of the character, Billy Pilgrim, in the Kurt Vonnegut novel, Slaughterhouse-Five. It randomly bounces around from one time/place/event to another.

I don't have any children (at least none I am aware of) to pass along stories of the crazy and the not-so-crazy times or the people and events in my life; so, this is it. They say before you die your life flashes before you in an instant. Well, I've had the fantastic luxury of the flashing happening for five years so far and I love it. I've remembered some of those people, places and events; sparkling and beautiful gems that have brightened my life as I've traveled down its road. Writing about them has brought them back to life and they now live on through this blog.


I can hardly wait to see what the next five years will bring as I am having the time of my life on my very own Magical Mystery Tour.

Come, join me on the journey.


June, 1946
photo by Angel Morales



Styrous© ~ Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 


~

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.