August 16, 2021

Classical Music or what?

     ~      

 
Since I have been posting articles on the Viewfinder I occasionally have had a problem classifying some music. Does it belong in the category of classical, jazz, musical, film soundtrack, etc.? I have tried to do the best I can, not always with the greatest success.     
 
Today I came across an article on the Boston Symphony Orchestra site and discovered Ricky O'Bannon addressed this problem in 2016 (link below).      

It's a brilliant article done with a dash of humor that posits interesting alternatives; the one I like best is "Composed Music". I have used that term for the section, "Classical Music." Thanks, Ricky! 
 
As I said, it's a great article, nicely written and well worth reading even if you don't give a fig WHAT the hell it's called. As Aretha Franklin sang, A Rose Is Still a Rose.      
     
     
     
Viewfinder links:       
         
Aretha Franklin          

Music Genres on the Viewfinder:                
Composed (classical)         
Country/Folk         
Jazz        
Musicals        
New Wave/punk        
Opera/vocal        
Pop        
Rock ('n Roll)        
     
Net links:       
        
BSO ~ Do We Need a New Word for Classical Music?                 
     
YouTube link:       
        
Aretha Franklin ~ A Rose Is Still a Rose        
        
        
        
        
Styrous® ~ Monday, August 16, 2021        
        















No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.