May 20, 2021

Beemer Memory 34 ~ Crescent Beach & French Fries

~    
Crescent Beach pennant - 1973
photo by Styrous®


Early in 1973 I fell in love and in May of that year decided to ride up on my Beemer to be with my paramour who lived in Crescent Beach south of Vancouver, British Columbia, in Canada.         
         

Crescent Beach pennant detail - 1973
detail photo by Styrous®
 
 
When I got there I helped out in a beach side fast food stand at the end of Beacher Street, the main drag of the town. People from Vancouver would come for the weekend. The town was the summer vacation spot for them, so, the stand was open seven days a week (no days off).      


 
 
It was an eye opening experience for me as I'd only lived in a big city my whole life. Before the summer season actually started, the weekends would have a couple of thousand people a day from the city but during the week the population of the town was a couple of hundred people. I discovered everybody knew everybody and everybody knew what everybody was doing with/to whom.    
 
At that time, there was a general store, a few shops and not much more, not even a gas station; we'd have to drive into White Rock for gas, so, our food stand was the major game in town where people would hang out and there was a delightful and amazing array of personalities that did.          
 
A kid who was still in high school would come by everyday for his hamburger, fries (more about them later) and shake, then he'd sit in front and smoke his joint while he ate and we would talk. I don't think I ever saw him straight; he was constantly out of sync with everything and his eyes were permanently bloodshot. He was a sweet guy, though.    
 
Then there was the village Romeo, a hunk! He would come by with his girlfriend from time to time to eat, chat, hang out, 'n smoke (I discovered everyone in town either smoked or drank something). He'd come up to the window, which was a couple of feet higher than people so they had to look up to place their order, and he'd say, "Hey, Tits!"     
 
I worked out and, in addition, scooping frozen, rock-hard ice cream for a couple of hundred ice cream cones a day (I came to hate ice cream) guaranteed I had decent arms and pecs . . .   
 
 
 
. . . BUT, that was the last thing I ever expected to hear from a straight guy. There were many other folks with many stories, some bizarre, some not.                
 
I had to go to the food stand at 6 each morning to peel the potatoes for the fries for the day and get other stuff ready. About that potato peeler! It and I had a very special relationship. We hated each other! It was a huge metal barrel that rotated the potatoes inside for the purpose of peeling off the skins. However, as I had to get other things ready while they were tumbling around in the barrel, I'd forget about them; what started out as 2 by 6 inch russet potatoes ended up ground down to 1 inch balls. Have no idea HOW many times I did that. Kind of rough on the profit margin.   
 
The thing I will always cherish the best, though, are the mornings when I would wake up before dawn. Before going to the shack to get everything ready for the day and peel the potatoes to be made into French fries . . .   
 
 
 
 
. . . I'd walk down to the beach. The village was on the edge of a pine forest on Boundary Bay so I could smell the scent of the bay and the fragrance of the forest. I will never forget that magic combination of aromas.     


photographer unknown

 
Boundary Bay is actually very far from the ocean so there are almost never any waves; mostly the water just laps at the beach. When the tide goes in or out the beach slowly fills or empties like a bathtub; I've never seen anything like it. I have photos I took but it was pre-digital and they are packed in a box somewhere with thousands of others I've taken in my life.   

Crescent Beach has been a summer destination for centuries. In pre-colonial times, it was the location of a significant temporary summer camp for area aboriginals. The tidal mudflats were a good clam digging area. Wild berries, especially cranberries, and a weir site were located at nearby Nicomekl River and Serpentine River areas. The area was part of Snokomish territory until a smallpox epidemic in 1850 forced the survivors and their lands to be amalgamated into the Semiahmoo First Nation. Musqueam bands also travelled to use the lands seasonally.        
 
 
Members of the Musqueam Indian Band 
photographer unknown 

 
Artifacts such as arrowheads and jade have been found on the beach in the modern era. First Nations' burial sites were uncovered in 1970 by sewer excavation.       
 
However, it seems since that time almost fifty years ago, Crescent Beach has grown up with condos, hotels, stores, etc. (What to see . . link below). In 2012, Beach House Theatre began annual production of Shakespeare plays in August in open-ended tents similar to the Bard on the Beach festival in Vancouver. In 2015, Beach House Theatre began performing plays other than Shakespeare, starting with The Importance of Being Earnest, by Oscar Wilde. It's come a long way!    
 
And, as they say, "Shit" happens. From May I was trapped in a three room shack with four room mates for five months and the flame of love blew out (Vietnam link below). Need I say more? The romance/fantasy only lasted until September when I hopped on my bike and headed back to San Francisco.    
 
But while it was happening, it was terrific and I'll always have fond memories of my summer affair in Crescent Beach!!!         
          
                  
     
         
Viewfinder link:        
           
William Shakespeare          
Vietnam War Protests ~ 1973          
Oscar Wilde       
         
YouTube link:        
           
Crescent Beach, BC          
         
         
           
           

Crescent Beach pennant detail - 1973
detail photo by Styrous®
 
 
Oh, Canada! 
        
         
         
Styrous® ~ Thursday, May 20, 2021        
           














No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.