January 24, 2021

20,000 vinyl LPs 267: U. K. Squeeze ~ Take Me I'm Yours on red vinyl

   ~        
 vinyl LP front cover
cover photo by Roger Stowell
photo of album cover by Styrous®
 
Julian (Jools) Miles Holland was born on this date in 1958. He was an original member of the band Squeeze and has worked with many artists including Jayne County, Sting, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, George Harrison, David Gilmour, Magazine, The The and Bono.            
 
I have hundreds of albums I have bought over the years only because of the album cover. This is one of them; well, also because it was pressed as a limited edition on red vinyl.    
 
 
 
 vinyl LP front cover sticker detail 
detail photo of album cover by Styrous®
 
I took the record home and slapped it on the turntable. I liked the songs well enough but when it got to the last cut on the first side . . . I was dubfounded! Take Me I'm Yours started playing and I was completely blown away! 

Take Me I'm Yours was written by Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook. Difford later named the song one of the only tracks on the album that was representative of Squeeze. The song has been covered several times, including a unique take by Tim Curry on his 1981 album Simplicity. Curry's version is the same tempo but it is more sensual with an almost jungle feeling to it. Andrea Corr covered it on her album Ten Feet High. Her version is a tiny bit slower in tempo but is more electronic rock. Both versions are great (links below).                    
 
 
U. K. Squeeze
 vinyl LP back cover detail 
detail photo of album cover by Styrous®

 
Take Me I'm Yours

I've come across the desert
To greet you with a smile
My camel looks so tired
It's hardly worth my while
To tell you of my travels
Across the golden East
I see your preparations
Invite me first to feast

Take me I'm yours
Because dreams are made of this
Forever there'll be a heaven in your kiss

Amusing belly dancers
Distract me from my wine
Across Tibetan mountains
Are memories of mine
I've stood some ghostly moments
With natives in the hills
Recorded here on paper
My chills and thrills and spills

Take me I'm yours
Because dreams are made of this
Forever there'll be a heaven in your kiss

It's really been some welcome
You never seem to change
A grape to tempt your leisure
Romantic gestures strange
My eagle flies tomorrow
It's a game I treasure dear
To seek the helpless future
My love at last I'm here

Take me I'm yours
Because dreams are made of this
Forever there'll be a heaven in your kiss
 
 date & photographer unknown
 
 
Squeeze is an English rock band that came to prominence in the United Kingdom during the new wave period of the late 1970s, and continued recording in the 1980s, 1990s and 2010s. In the UK, their singles Cool for Cats, Up the Junction and Labelled with Love were top-ten chart hits. Though not as commercially successful in the United States, Squeeze had American hits with Tempted, Hourglass and 853-5937, and were considered a part of the Second British Invasion.    
 

 vinyl LP back cover detail 
album photo by George Greenwood
photo of album cover by Styrous®
 
 
This, their first album, was produced by John Cale for A&M Records. Cale had been a member of Velvet Underground from whose album Squeeze took their name. However, the debut album's two hit singles, Take Me I'm Yours and Bang Bang were produced by the band themselves, as the label found Cale's recordings were not commercial.         
 
Jools left the UK group, Squeeze in 1982 to pursue a solo career having released the album, Jools Holland & His Milionaires. Bumble Boogie was featured on the US release of this album in 1982. A UK 45 was released on A&M in 1981. Despite the writing credits on the label, the song was based on a theme by Rimsky Korsakov, Flight of the Bumble Bee which appeared in his opera, The Tale of Tsar Saltan in 1900. In the rock and roll era, B Bumble & The Stingers reached #21 on the Hot-100 with their version of Bumble Boogie in 1961 (link below).     
 
 
 vinyl LP back cover detail 
album photo by George Greenwood
detail photo of album cover by Styrous®


This is definitely an album that belongs on my 'desert island' list; the albums I would take if stranded somewhere alone (link below).           
 

red  vinyl LP, side 1

  



red  vinyl LP, side 1

Tracklist:

Side 1:

A1 - Sex Master - 2:20
A2 - Bang Bang - 2:03
A3 - Strong In Reason - 4:12
A4 - Wild Sewerage Tickles Brazil - 3:49
A5 - Out Of Control - 4:41
A6 - Take Me I'm Yours - 3:48

Side 2:

B1 - The Call - 5:18
B2 - Model - 3:02
B3 - Remember What - 2:51
B4 - First Thing Wrong - 3:51
B5 - Hesitation (Rool Britannia) - 3:49
B6 - Get Smart - 2:06

Companies, etc.

    Phonographic Copyright (p) – A&M Records, Inc.
    Copyright (c) – A&M Records, Inc.
    Recorded At – Morgan Studios
    Recorded At – Pathway Studios
    Recorded At – Surrey Sound Studios
    Record Company – A&M Records, Inc.
    Published By – Almo Music Corp.
    Published By – Javeberry Music

Credits:

    Art Direction – Michael Ross (3)
    Bass – Harry Kakoulli*
    Design – Nick Marshall (7)
    Drums – Gilson Lavis
    Engineer – Greg Jackman*, John Wood
    Keyboards – Jools Holland
    Lead Guitar, Vocals – Glenn Tilbrook
    Photography By – George Greenwood, Roger Stowell
    Producer – John Cale (tracks: A1, A3 To A5, B1 To B6), U.K. Squeeze* (tracks: A2, A6)
    Rhythm Guitar, Vocals – Chris Difford
    Written-By – C. Difford* (tracks: A1 To A3, A5 to B6), G. Tilbrook* (tracks: A1 To A3, A5 to B6), U.K. Squeeze* (tracks: A4)

Notes:

Translucent red vinyl edition.
Barcode and Other Identifiers

    Matrix / Runout (Matrix Side A, On Label): SP-5111
    Matrix / Runout (Matrix Side B, On Label): SP-5112
    Matrix / Runout (Side A, etched): AM SP 5111 K1
    Matrix / Runout (Side B, etched): AM SP 5112 K1
    Rights Society: ASCAP

U.K. Squeeze* ‎– U.K. Squeeze
Label: A&M Records ‎– SP-4687
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Red Translucent
Country: US
Released: 1978
Genre: Rock
Style: Pub Rock


Viewfinder links:        
        
B Bumble & The Stingers        
John Cale        
Tim Curry        
Eric Clapton        
Earl Palmer        
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov        
Sting        
        
Net links:        
        
Christina Rocks ~ Squeeze: Take Me I'm Yours documentary  
Progrography ~ U.K. Squeeze (1978) review         
Punk News ~ Squeeze
Songfacts ~ Take Me I'm Yours by Squeeze        
Squeeze website        
        
YouTube links:        
        
Andrea Corr ~ Take Me I'm Yours        
Tim Curry ~ Take Me I'm Yours        
Jools Holland ~ Bumble Boogie        
U. K. Squeeze ~              
        Complete album            
        The Call       
        First Thing Wrong       
        Hesitation (Rool Britannia)      
        Model      
        Out Of Control        
        Strong In Reason          
        Take Me I'm Yours          
        Take Me I'm Yours (live)         
        Take Me I'm Yours (NY 1999) (5 mins., 29 secs)     
        Wild Sewerage Tickles Brazil
        
        
        
"Without the piano my life would be a disaster -
nobody would hold me in any regard.
It's the thing that saved me."
              ~ Jools Holland
        
        
        
        
Styrous® ~ Sunday, January 24, 2021   


 





No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.