November 27, 2017

Harvey Milk ~ May 22, 1930 – November 27, 1978





































Harvey Milk bust 
photo by Styrous®




I vividly remember the instant I discovered that San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Harvey Milk were murdered by Dan White on Monday, November 27, 1978. I was in Los Angeles, why I was there, I have no recollection what-so-ever.    

It was before the Internet as we know it had come into being. I was walking down a busy LA street waiting for the light to change at an intersection. There was a San Francisco Examiner newspaper box on the corner and glaring through the window of the box the headline screamed at me:   

"Mayor, Milk Slain; Dan White Seized"


Harvey Milk & George Moscone murder headline
Monday, November 27, 1978


I remember being transfixed, frozen with shock, disbelief and horror for what seemed an eternity! I thought, "This can not be! This is impossible!" I remember the roar of the traffic on the street in my ears; it was magnified a thousand times. I have absolutely no other recollection of that day or even of the trip but the instant of that vision and that roar is permanently burned in my memory.     
        
Just five months earlier, on June 25, 1978, Supervisor Milk had vigorously lead the Gay Freedom Day Parade.    

photo by Terry Schmitt


"Hope will never be silent." 
                    ~ Harvey Milk 

           

Styrous® ~ Monday, November 27, 2017  
















No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.