December 3, 2023

20,000 vinyl LPs 341: Jaye P. Morgan ~ Just You, Just Me & Montezuma's Castle

 ~   







Jaye P. Morgan ~ Just You, Just Me
vinyl LP front cover
photographer unknown
photo of front cover by Styrous®


 
 
 
 
Today is the birthday of American popular music singer, actress, and game show panelist, Jaye P. Morgan, born on January 26, 1931, in the tiny town of Mancos in Montezuma County in Colorado at the base of Mesa Verde National Park, a place I've always dreamed of seeing for the cliff dwellings . . .
 
 
Cliff Palace, Mesa Verde National Park
 date & photographer unknown
 
 
. . . which contains the fabled Montezuma's Castle.    
 
 photo by Beyond My Ken
 
 
In 1968 I was hitchhiking through the southwest and the car I was in drove by the ruins but the driver didn't want to stop; it's in the middle of the desert and I didn't want to get stranded there if I got out, so I didn't. I've always regretted that (John Kongos: "It's not the things you do, it's what you never get round to that make you sad!" link below).       

But, back to Jaye P. Morgan. She got the nickname "Jaye P." after the banker J. P. Morgan. In 1953, she received an RCA Victor recording contract, and she had five hits in one year, including her biggest hit That's All I Want from You, which reached #3 on the chart. Her other hits included There's a Dream in My Heart by Rolande Maxwell Young, The Longest Walk and Pepper Hot Baby (link below).  



Jaye P. Morgan ~ Just You, Just Me
vinyl LP back cover 
illustrator unknown
photo of back cover by Styrous®


I like the almost infinitesimal bit of bubble in her voice but in all honesty, I like her upbeat songs the best; the ballads are mostly fifties-type orchestral arrangements that are, well, so fifties. To the credit of Marion Evans, he has grown since those days and worked with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga on their album, Duets.        

There is a site (link below) that lists the album as "Cheesecake cover of the week" which had never occurred to me like that until I saw his remark. I thought, of course! And laughed!      

 



   
Tracklist:
       
Side 1:
        
A1 - Just You, Just Me, written by Jesse Greer, Raymond Klages

A2 - I See Your Face Before Me, written by Howard Dietz-Arthur Schwartz*

A3 - The Song Is You, written by Oscar Hammerstein-Jerome Kern*

A4 - You Are My Lucky Star, written by Arthur Freed, Nacio Herb Brown

A5 - Why Shouldn't I, written by Cole Porter

A6 - Day By Day, written by Stordahl*, Weston*, Cahn*
       
Side 2:
       
B1 - Love Your Spell Is Everywhere, written by Edmund Goulding, Elsie Janis

B2 - (I Wanna Go Where You Go - Do What You Do) Then I'll Be Happy, written by Friend*, Brown*, Clare*

B3 - There's A Small Hotel, written by Lorenz Hart-Richard Rodgers*

B4 - As Time Goes By, written by Herman Hupfeld

B5 - Where Are You?, written by Harold Adamson, Jimmy McHugh

B6 - All I Do Is Dream Of You, written by Arthur Freed, Nacio Herb Brown
       
Companies, etc.
       
    Record Company – Radio Corporation Of America
    Copyright © – Radio Corporation Of America
    Copyright © – RCA
    Lacquer Cut At – RCA Studios, Chicago
    Pressed By – RCA Records Pressing Plant, Indianapolis
       
Credits:
       
    Conductor [Orch. Cond. By] – Marion Evans
    Featuring [With] – Marion Evans And His Orchestra
    Illustration [Back Cover] – R.R. (10)
       
Notes:
       
Label variation, with "'New Orthophonic' High Fidelity" text at right below side indicator, and title above center hole below Nipper the dog logo.

Serifed "I" stamped in runouts denotes RCA Records Pressing Plant, Indianapolis, pressing.

Title on labels, back cover, spines: Just You, Just Me

Catalog number LPM-1682 on front cover, back cover, spine, top spine.
Catalog number LPM 1682 on labels, spine (at bottom).

A2: (from the musical "Between the Devil")
A3: (from the musical "Music in the Air")
A4: (from the M-G-M film "Singin' in the Rain")
A5: (from the musical "Jubilee")
B1: (from the film "The Trespasser")
B3: (from the musical "Pal Joey")
B4: (from the film "Casablanca")

Front cover: © RCA Printed in U.S.A.
Back cover: © by Radio Corporation of America, 1958
       
Barcode and Other Identifiers
       
    Matrix / Runout (Side A label): J2PP-2813
    Matrix / Runout (Side B label): J2PP-2814
    Matrix / Runout (Side A runout): J2PP 2813 1S I 1A
    Matrix / Runout (Side B runout): J2PP 2814 2S I A2
 
 
 

         
Viewfinder links:        
         
Marion Evans         
Lady Gaga           
John Kongos         
Kongos         
Pepper-Hot Baby        
        
         
        
Net links:        
        
Why It Matters ~ Cheesecake Cover of the Week        
        
        
         
        
        
YouTube links:         
 
Just You, Just Me links to songs below:       
        
Just You, Just Me   
 
I See Your Face Before Me      
 
The Song Is You    
 
You Are My Lucky Star     
 
Why Shouldn't I     
 
Day By Day     
       
Love Your Spell Is Everywhere    
 
(I Wanna Go Where You Go - Do What You Do) Then I'll Be Happy     
 
There's A Small Hotel          
 
As Time Goes By     
 
Where Are You        
 
All I Do Is Dream Of You           
        
        
        
More info to come
        
        
        
Styrous® ~ Sunday, December 3, 2023       
       
 
 














No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.