June 16, 2020

45 RPMs 46: Gale Storm ~ I Hear You Knocking & My Little Margie

~
Today, June 16, My Little Margie debuted on CBS-TV in 1952. The show starred Gale Storm and I thought she was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.
 

date & photographer unknown


Her character, Margie Albright, was always getting into trouble and her father, silent screen star, Charles Farrell, had to get her out of it. They were all silly situations but she was cute and when you're not even a teenager yet, taste is not an option.     


photographer unknown


Gale Storm worked with Billy Vaughn in the course of the show and together they wrote You're My Baby Doll and performed it on My Little Margie, in 1958. There is an instramental version of the song with Vaughn playing a great guitar; it is in REAL STEREO (link below)!        




Before Margie, Storm made several films for the RKO Radio Pictures studio. Her first was Tom Brown's School Days, playing opposite Jimmy Lydon and Freddie Bartholomew. She worked steadily in low-budget films released during this period. In 1941, she sang in several soundies, three-minute musicals produced for "movie jukeboxes."         

In Gallatin, Tennessee, in November 1954, a 10-year-old girl, Linda Wood, was watching Storm on a Sunday night television variety show, the NBC Colgate Comedy Hour, hosted by Gordon MacRae, singing one of the popular songs of the day.       

Linda's father asked her who was singing and was told it was Gale Storm from My Little Margie. Linda's father Randy Wood was president of Dot Records, and he liked Storm so much that he called to sign her before the end of the television show. Her first record, I Hear You Knocking, a cover version of a rhythm and blues hit by Smiley Lewis, sold over a million copies.         
 
45 rpm record in sleeve
photo by Styrous®

            
I Hear You Knocking (or I Hear You Knockin') is a rhythm and blues song written by Dave Bartholomew. The orchestra and chorus was conducted by Billy Vaughn for this recording.      



45 rpm record in sleeve detail
detail photo by Styrous®















45 rpm record
photo by Styrous®







45 rpm record label
photo by Styrous®








   
         
         
           
          
Tracklist:

Side 1:

A - I Hear You Knocking, written by D. Bartholomew*

Side 2:
   
B - Never Leave Me, written by Aguavina*, Varnicls*
   
Companies, etc.

    Record Company – Dot Records, Inc.
    Published By – Commodore Music Corp.
    Published By – Hometown Music Co., Inc.

Barcode and Other Identifiers

    Matrix / Runout (A-side label): MW-8951
    Matrix / Runout (B-side label): MW-8952
    Rights Society (A): BMI
    Rights Society (B): ASCAP
Gale Storm ‎– I Hear You Knocking
Label: Dot Records ‎– 45-15412
Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
Country: US
Released: Aug 1955
Genre: Pop
Style: Vocal
     


Viewfinder links:      
            
Dave Bartholomew         
Fats Domino ~ I'm Walkin'              
Charles Farrell    
Movie "soundies"           
Gale Storm      
     


Net links:            



     
      

YouTube links:             


     

Fats Domino ~ I Hear You Knocking
Gale Storm ~           
     I Hear You Knocking  
     I Hear You Knocking (TV perfomance)        
     Never Leave Me         
Billy Vaughn ~ You're My Baby Doll (Rare 'true' Stereo version 1958)         
     

     
     
     
Styrous® ~ Tuesday, June 9, 2020       
   


















No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.