August 28, 2013

Burning Man 2003 ~ afterthoughts

photographer unknown

The Burning Man phenomenon was a change-at-the-fundamental-level experience for me; my life was never the same after it. So many aspects of my life since then have been influenced because of it.

The major change for me, of course, was with my photography. After resisting it for twenty years, I had only the year before bought a digital camera, a point-and-shoot (I didn't want to invest big money into something I was not going to like or use). It was the camera I took with me to Burning Man. It was a cheap camera and it didn't survive the trip. It stopped working on my last day at Burning Man.

DUST!

When I tried to have the camera repaired, it turned out the repairs would have cost more than I paid for the camera. But I learned a lot about the possibilities of digital photography from the experience. The point is, I was so impressed with the images I got at Burning Man using just a simple point-'n-shoot, I switched from film to digital and I never looked back. I still have the dead camera just for sentimental reasons.

Of course, there were other things in my life affected by Burning Man. I have been camping many times and riding bike for many years so relying on myself to survive was not new but Burning Man took it to another level entirely. It was an eye opener.

Mark Morford, an SF Gate columnist, described it far better than I ever could on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 with his post, One More Vital Pagan Orgy. If you've never been to Burning Man and want a taste of what it's all about, check it out.

There are some terrific panoramic shots of the 2003 Burning Man event that can be seen on the website of photographer, Brad Templeton.

"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit."
                                          - Albert Schweitzer



Styrous® ~ August 28, 2013

1 comment:

  1. Ou se trouve la fête du brun inf Man le 31 décembre ? Sales le château ?😋

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.