August 18, 2026

45 RPMs 106: Peter, Paul & Mary – If I Had A Hammer

  ~    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
promotional photo 
 
 
On Saturday, August 18, 1962, Peter, Paul & Mary released one of my favorite songs by them, If I Had a Hammer also known as The Hammer Song. With Mary Travers on lead and Peter Yarrow and Paul Stookey backing her, as with most of their songs, the harmonizing of the trio is absolutely sublime.         
 
 
photo by Styrous® 
 

The group's repertoire included traditional songs, songs written by Yarrow and Stookey, early songs by Bob Dylan, and songs of other "folk-revival" musicians such as Pete Seeger.      
    
I'm not so enamored of the "B" side of the record; the theme of Lemon Tree is much too negative for me but as they say, you can't please everyone,   
 
 
Peter, Paul & Mary ~ Lemon Tree 
photo by Styrous® 
 
        
Tracklist:

Side 1:

A - If I Had A Hammer, written by Hays*, Seeger* - 1:58

Side 2:

B - Lemon Tree, written by Will Holt - 2:52

Companies, etc.

    Record Company – Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records, Inc.
    Published By – Ludlow Music, Inc.
    Published By – Boulder Music, Inc.
    Published By – Dolfi Music Inc.
    Pressed By – Columbia Records Pressing Plant, Pitman
  
Barcode and Other Identifiers        
        
    Matrix / Runout (A side runout etched): EX-12718 P
    Matrix / Runout (B side runout stamped): E-12461-1G P
        
Peter, Paul & Mary – If I Had A Hammer (The Hammer Song) / Lemon Tree
Label: Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records – 7100
Series: Back To Back Hits
Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Reissue
Country: US
Released: 1967
Genre: Folk, World, & Country
Style: Folk        
        
        
Viewfinder links:       
         
Bob Dylan           
Peter, Paul & Mary           
Pete Seeger       
Paul Stookey         
Mary Travers        
Peter Yarrow             
     
Net links:       
         
         
         
        
     
YouTube links:      
        
Peter, Paul & Mary –     
           If I Had A Hammer (The Hammer Song)        
           Lemon Tree         
      
        
         
        
        

Styrous® ~ Tuesday, August 18, 2026 






      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE NOTE: comments are moderated BEFORE they are posted so DO NOT appear immediately.

Thank you.